Brazilian club Corinthians say they have not yet struck a deal to sign Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.
On Sunday, City boss Roberto Mancini claimed a deal had been reached for the 27-year-old, with only personal terms still to be agreed.
But a Corinthians statement said: “We would like to clarify to the public that City did not accept our offer.
“City sent a counter-proposal in the early hours… and this will be analysed by Corinthians.”
Tevez’s representative Kia Joorabchian also insisted that, contrary to Mancini’s comments on City’s pre-season tour, the clubs had not yet settled on a fee despite Corinthians returning with an improved bid understood to be about £40m.
“There is no agreement at the moment but we are working hard and we will see what happens,” he told BBC Sport chief football writer Phil McNulty.
“The deal has not been done and I don’t want to say too much either way. To say I am optimistic would be just a guess but we are working hard.”
BBC Sport understands the only change to the offer accepted following a weekend of deliberation by City is regarded by Eastlands officials as minor and does not relate to the value of the bid, which was almost £39m.
Mancini had previously told Sky Sports News that Tevez was a still a City player, but only the attacker’s personal terms stood between a deal being finalised.
However, the transfer of Tevez back to Corinthians, who he played for from 2004-06, appears to be some way off completion, though the Sao Paulo club must be quick as Brazil’s transfer deadline day is on Wednesday.
Their statement, issued on Monday, continued: “Due to the time difference, the counter-proposal was only read by our club management on Monday morning.
“The English club have asked for changes in the form of payment and on the value of the transfer. In addition, Manchester City has also insisted that Tevez would have to give up a pending amount with them.
“Lastly, our president Andres Sanchez informs us that for the time being there does not exist anything concrete for Tevez.”
Argentine international Tevez – joint top scorer in the Premier League last season with 20 goals – is desperate to leave England in order to spend more time with his family in his homeland.
Corinthians, backed by revenue from a new television deal, want to make Tevez a landmark signing by taking him back to the club where he previously enjoyed success.
Moving to South America would also help to solve Tevez’s problem of being separated from his two children.
The former West Ham forward, who joined City from Manchester United in the summer of 2009, is under contract with Mancini’s side until June 2014.
If Tevez does go, his 23-year-old countryman Sergio Aguero, who is rated at £45m by Atletico Madrid, is regarded as a natural replacement.
Source : news.bbc.co.uk